LOCAL GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS
- Connecticut Art Trail“Get away from your daily routine. Visit fourteen world-class museums and historic sites throughout Connecticut and the lively communities in which they reside.” (General info. on CT museums and sites)
- Connecticut Museums and Galleries Current exhibits noted in the Hartford Courant.
In the New Haven area:
- Arts + Literature Laboratory “ALL is a non-profit organization that encourages visual and performing artists and writers to explore and develop their craft, and provides a supportive and challenging environment in which ideas can be shared.” (Sponsors gallery showings and literary readings.)
Erector Square Building 2/319 Peck Street
- Artspace New Haven“Artspace is an artist-and volunteer-run contemporary arts non-profit whose mission is: to catalyze artistic efforts, to connect artists, audiences, and resources, to redefine ‘art spaces.'” (Website contains info. on the Artspace Gallery exhibitions, local opportunities for artists, curators, and volunteers, CityWide Open Studios, and more.) 50 Orange St.
- City GalleryAn artist-run cooperative. “The 17 gallery members curate solo and group exhibitions of their own work as well as that of other artists.”994 State Street
- Creative Arts Workshop Classes, workshops, and two galleries. 80 Audubon St.
- Gallery 195 A gallery exhibit in partnership with the Arts Council of Greater New Haven and NewAlliance Bank. Two-person exhibitions are mounted quarterly and are coordinated by the Arts Council. 195 Church Street (across from the New Haven Green) on the fourth floor
- Haskins Laboratories GalleryA gallery exhibit in partnership with the Arts Council of Greater New Haven and Haskins Laboratories. Features regional artists in group and thematic shows. 300 George Street, Ninth floor
- Hope Gallery Combines “the notion that there could be a fully functional, working art and tattoo studio blended seamlessly with an open spacious art gallery.” 817 Chapel st. suite 2F
- Jennifer Jane Gallery “Jennifer Jane Gallery is Connecticut’s premier gallery
dedicated solely to contemporary photographic art.” 838 Whalley Avenue
- Mona Berman Fine Arts“A comprehensive fine arts service and dealer established in New Haven in 1979.” 78 Lyon Street
- New Haven Free Public Library Art Gallery “Exhibits emerging and established artists, regional and international art, progressive & avant-garde visual ideas, and aesthetic art.” Located in the lower level of the New Haven Free Public Library. 133 Elm Street.
- John Slade Ely House – Center for Contemporary Art “The John Slade Ely House is a non-profit contemporary visual arts center located in New Haven, CT that has served the Greater New Haven area for over 40 years.” 51 Trumbull Street
- PABA Gallery “the Photo Art, Book Art Gallery, exhibits contemporary photography and artistis’ books including fine and small press. An exhibition schedule of national and international artists complements the collection on display at the gallery, located in the historic 1870 Foundry Building.” 33 Whitney Avenue, 2nd floor
- rePublicart “Our goal is to expand the nature of art in public places by creating outdoor art galleries that help build community and public appreciation for the art as a vehicle for positive social change.” 191 Foster St 2ndFL Studio
- Small Space Gallery A program of the Arts Council of Greater New Haven. Features regional artists in group and thematic shows. 70 Audubon Street, 2nd floor.
- White Space Gallery “…A fine art gallery located in beautiful downtown New Haven, CT showcasing hand-signed, limited edition lithographs by Surrealist Masters Dali, Chagall, Picasso, and Miro, as well as a diverse collection of original art by prominent living artists and sculptors, and Resident Artist Denise Parri.” 195 Church Street – 9th Floor
- Wunderlee Arts “a unique creative environment where students can explore music and the visual arts…where learning is fun.” 924 Whalley Avenue
LOCAL ARTS NEWS, REVIEWS, AND INFORMATION
- Arts Council of Greater New Haven “Leads in the strategic planning and coordination of cultural and artistic development vital to the quality of life and the economic and social health of the region.”
- Arts & Ideas New Haven “The mission of Arts & Ideas is to create an internationally renowned festival in New Haven of the highest quality with world-class artists, thinkers and leaders, attracting and engaging a broad and diverse audience celebrating and building community and advancing economic development.”
- Downtown New Haven/Route 34 “The Downtown New Haven / Route 34 Blog is an open civic forum about New Haven, Connecticut and the future of its Route 34 Corridor. Topics include neighborhood revitalization, economic development, downtown retail, transportation planning, politics, arts and culture.”
- New Haven Independent: Arts & Entertainment Arts news, reviews, and information from the New Haven Independent
- Connecticut Art Scene
Freelance journalist Hank Hoffman’s blog, “dedicated to covering the visual arts community in Connecticut.” Contains reviews and information on the local arts scene.
- CTNow: Galleries and Museums Arts news, reviews, and information from the Hartford Courant on ctnow.com
- CTNow: Stage Theater news, reviews and information from the Hartford Courant on ctnow.com
ART LINKS (GENERAL)
- The Art Hisory Newsletter.
“We synopsize news and opinion of interest to art historians and provide original reporting on conferences, lectures, and other special events.”
ARCHITECTURE LINKS (GENERAL)
“The ArchNewsNow (ANN) newsletter…hyperlinks directly to the latest news and commentary gleaned from sources around the world.”
“The goal of Archinect is to make architecture more connected and open-minded, and bring together designers from around the world to introduce new ideas from all disciplines.”
ARTS-RELATED JOBS, INTERNSHIPS, AND OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
A “global clearinghouse of nonprofit and volunteering resources”, offering a directory of jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities and other resources in many fields, including the Arts.
- Job Opportunities
Arts-related jobs and internships in the New Haven area. List put out by the Arts Council of Greater New Haven.
- Photo Arts Collective “The Photo Arts Collective of New Haven meets the first Thursday of every month – except August – at the Kehler Liddell Gallery at 873 Whalley Avenue. The meetings start at 7pm, and the general public is welcome to attend.”